Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hard 16 miler...

As I was saying in my previous blog we went out and broke out our trail. Unfortunatly we didn't break out the full 30 miles, due to getting close to running out of gas on the machines. The machines were working really hard trying to break out the trail, with atleast two feet of snow to plow through. So we only made it 8 miles out and 8 miles back, having it be a 16 mile run the night after. When we went through on snowmobile, there were hardly any moose tracks at all, which earlier this fall there was a lot of moose activity on this side of the mountain, never once saw them, but there was a lot of signs of them. So not seeing to many signs Sunday night, I was quite convinced that maybe they moved to the other side of the mountain where the loggers are cutting. Boy was I wrong!

We hooked up the dogs on Monday evening when we all got out of work, and headed out. About at mile 7-8...WOW! Talk about a lot of moose activity! They must of had a field day after we broke out the trail. TRACKS everywhere, and at one point you could see where one of the moose bedded down right next to the trail! I just kept thinking I hope the moose just stay where they are! There is one track out there, that is HUGE! The biggest track I have ever seen for a moose, and same track I have been seeing all fall. Luckily we didn't encounter one of the big creatures that run, and lets hope for the remainder of the winter as well! :)

As far as the team and how well they did, lets just say I couldn't stop smiling! The trail was hard going, considering we just broke it out the night before, so there isn't much of a base. Plus the fact that its a tough terrain anyways. But the team handled it extremely well, and came in just as strong as they took off! Again I just couldn't keep smiling. And of course the two characters of the team just keep me laughing anyways... Cree and Marocca. Cree just kept trying to run in the tracks of the moose, she just loves to hunt when she has the opportunity, never even skips a beat amazingly! And for Marocca, she just has the best attitude, just loving life, bouncy and happy all the time! She acted like she never even ran a mile when we got back to the truck!

Oh and a tip...NEVER feed Kotka beaver by hand, what and ALLIGATOR!!! I forgot how bad she loves beaver from last year. I think I will remember from here on out though!

Hope to take pictures of all the moose tracks this weekend and share them with you!

All for now!

Happy Trails!

~Fort Illio~

No comments:

Post a Comment